Monday, November 28, 2011

Making My "Case"

For a long time I have wondered, "What's with some people typing postings and other things all in lower case letters?" It always aggravates me when I see that. It really aggravates me when I see it on web sites where there are people's names on memorials on Findagrave.com which are used for genealogical research and they are either all in lower case letters or their middle initial is. I'm so used to using proper case, that even when the rare times I chat on Facebook I always use the proper capitalization for sentences and names and so do all the people my age. Obviously it is a result of those my age that learned English long before computers and texting. It is in our genes.

One day it finally hit me. I have never texted nor ever intend to. I'm assuming that when one sends a text that there is no way to make capital letters. I'll have to defer to someone who does text to answer that. That would indeed explain how people get into that habit. I sure wish they would change gears and use the proper case when not texting. This leads me to another paradox. When people have a cell phone wouldn't it be a whole lot easier just to talk to someone as opposed to sending a text with those tiny keyboards? I don't think I could even send a text if I wanted to since my fingers are so large. Oh well, another mystery to add to my growing list.

Oh, by the way, as long as I'm on the subject... It is also a mystery to me why there are so many spelling errors in things like newspapers, etc. that I'm sure are created by word processors that have spell check. Consequently, I can never understand why people don't use it when they publish things with such obvious spelling errors.

Is it just me, or has the world passed me by? I suspect the former as opposed to the latter.
8>}

2 comments:

Roberta said...

You go Mike!!! Did you know they want to take cursive (writing class)out of the schools? I heard that and was YOU ARE KIDDING?! Yep you are right , it don't seem like these new things are going to do any good things for people in the long run. Oh and when you see me misspell things on here just say, "Oh dear the the old girl don't have her glasses on again!" lol

Mike T. said...

Good point!